Make a Parenting Mental Checklist
If there is a behavior that is driving you crazy, run through our Parenting Mental Checklist to see if you have covered all your bases…
- Teach, Model and Practice before this situation came up?
- Fast Forward and give the child a chance to see and visualize how we behave?
- Pause and Remind before transitioning into this situation?
- Did you set a clear boundary and consequences for their choices?
- Did you follow through on what you set up?
- Did you use minimal words (3-5 words at a time)?
- Did you stay calm without getting emotional?
- Did you catch them being good (even if it was small bits of progress)?
If not, no worries… there is always tomorrow. Just by changing one of these parenting behaviors you might start to see a change towards positive behaviors!! Make a sign with these cues and hang it somewhere in your house so you can use it to help you remember the parenting tools you want to use next time.