Is it even possible?
Here are some quick tips to help you think about the sibling relationship a little differently…
1. They ARE different… PERIOD… so don’t lump them all together and expect them to react the same way, enjoy the same things, and have the same talents or needs. Avoid comparisons that pit them against each other… Let them be their own unique person within the family, in their own race against themselves not against their brother or sister.
2. Rejoice When they find a common ground (even if it means they found it ganging up on you 🙂
3. Focus on retelling their sibling story in a positive light and do this by catching them making connections and good choices together… Are there any moments in their day when they actually get along? If so, notice these moments more than you notice the arguing, the shoving and the complaining.
4. The smallest bits of honest attention might change their day… everyone wants you to connect with them so give them 3-5 minutes of time to be your special kid… allow them to show and tell and lead the conversation without judgement or critque just connect for a small moment of each day with each kid.
5. Let every kid have some power
- Switch roles sometimes (let the little guy be the leader)
- Give more choices (on how they will do things) while sticking to your boundaries
- Allow everyone to have a voice and to be heard… “I hear you…..it sounds like”